Natural mouthwash recipe

Categories

My handsome son holding a bottle of our mouthwash

When was the last time you looked at the label on your mouthwash? Do you know what’s in it?  Here let me tell you.

Thymol (2-isopropyl-5-methylphenol)

is used to control varroa mites and prevent fermentation and the growth of mold in bee colonies as well as playing a part in rebinding old books where it is ised to control mold. Thymol is also used to treat Ringworm infections and hookworm. It is also used as a preservative in anesthetic and as an antiseptic in mouthwash. It has also been added to cigarettes to relax the trachea and smooth the inhalation of smoke.

Potential for Harm – Thymol is dangerous to the environment and toxic to aquatic organisms and may cause long-term adverse effects in the aquatic environment. It is also being investigated as a mutagen

Eucalyptol

is added chiefly for its spicy aroma and taste.

Potential for Harm – In higher than normal doses eucalyptol is hazardous when taken internally or when inhaled. It can have acute health effects on behaviour and the respiratory tract as well as the nervous system. It is generall recognized as being a reproductive toxin for both males and females.

Hexetidine (Oraldene)

is an anti-bacterial and anti-fungal drug used in some popularmouthwash products.

Potential for Harm – Too much of this drug taken internally leads to severe chronic conditions such as clotting in the principal part of the brain which integrates complex sensory and neural functions. This causes these functions to fail.

Other potential; problems from an overdose of Hexetidine include allergic reactions and unstable heartbeats, It is not advisable to take Hexetidine when pregnant or when breastfeeding. Hexetidine is considered to be carcinogenic.

Methyl Salicylate

 

is rubefacient (that is – a substance for external use that causes dilation of the capillaries and an increase in blood circulation) It is also used as a flavoring agent and adds fragrance to some products. It also works as an odor masking agent for certain organophosphate pesticides.

Potential for Harm – In its pure state, methyl salicylate is toxic. This is especially true when taken internally. A teaspoon of methyl salicylate contains roughly 7g of salicylate, which is the equivalent of over twenty-three 300 mg aspirin tablets. The smallest lethal dose for an adult is 101 mg/kg body weight.
Methyl Salicylate has proved fatal for small children with doses as small as 4 mL. A 17 year-old athlete from Staten Island died after her body absorbed fatal levels of methyl salicylate through her skin after using topical muscle-pain relief products containing the drug.

Benzalkonium chloride

(also known as alkyldimethylbenzylammonium chloride and ADBAC) has many in industrial uses from a disinfectant in mouthwash to microbial corrosion inhibition in oilfields.

 

Potential for Harm – Benzalkonium chloride is an allergen. There are ongoing concerns that its repeated use may have some (as yet undiscovered) side effects in medical and hygiene products. However, studies have already shown that its use in contact lens solutions over time can cause irreversible damage to the eye evidenced by punctures of the corneal epithelium.

Benzalkonium chloride is highly toxic to fish – very highly toxic to aquatic invertebrates, moderately toxic to birds. A solution of 10% or more is toxic to humans, causing irritation to the skin and mucosa, and death if taken internally.

Cetylpyridinium Chloride

mouth rinse/spray is still considered by manufacturers to be one of the best chemical preventatives of plaque formation. It is thought to be a suitable aid for preventing gingivitis.

Potential for Harm – This chemical unfortunately causes extrinsic tooth staining. It also has an unpleasant taste and can adversely affect the taste of food and drink, It is also responsible for causing sensitivity, irritation and pain in the tongue due to its high alcohol content.

A study in 1998 actually shows this chemical was responsible for an increase in plaque build-up rather than the decrease claimed.

Methylparaben

is an anti-fungal chemical preservative added to products ranging from mouthwash to hair gels to extend shelf-life for the benefit of the drugstore owner. Methylparaben preservative is often added to carpules of the local anesthetic that your dentist might use.

Potential for Harm – Methylparaben has been considered as non-toxic for many years and it’s use is widespread as a p[roduct preservative. However recent tests indicate skin irritation and contact dermatitis and Rosacea occur in individuals with paraben allergies.

More worrying is the discovery (in several studies) that report the joint presence of parabens and breast cancer in women. One UK-based study detected high levels of parabens in breast tumors in eighteen out of twenty samples tested. Although inconclusive, this is a serious question mark hanging over this common mouthwash ingredient.

 

Save 30% off your first month!

So not cool!!! No fear I will show you how to make your own natural mouthwash that won’t leave you sick!

  • 16 ounce bottle of peroxide
  • 16 ounces of water
  • 2 tablespoons of baking soda
  • 25 drops of peppermint essential oil
  • 1 bottle (preferable dark but if you don’t have one available just store in a cool dark place)
My handsome son holding a bottle of our mouthwash
My handsome son holding a bottle of our mouthwash

Combine all ingredients together in a bottle, gently shake  to combine and enjoy. Will need to shake before each use as baking soda could settle to the bottom.

Pretty easy right? Cheap. budget friendly , all natural mouthwash that will leave you with fresh breath and will cost pennies to make. Comments, questions, concerns drop them below.

Rate this post
Please follow and like us:
0

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*


Enjoy this blog? Please spread the word :)